Return to site

Your Food, Your Health

Let’s dig a little deeper into “clean up your diet.”

More than 2,000 years ago, Hippocrates said, “all diseases begin in the gut.” While not all diseases literally begin in your gut, what we know today is that your diet has a significant impact on your health, and many diseases are in fact driven by what you eat. Some of these are obvious, such as Type 2 Diabetes, however there are others you might not think of, such as depression and autoimmune disease. It comes down to this: when you give your body the fuel it needs to run, you will see it thrive.

I want you and your family to move away from a Standard American Diet and over to a refrigerator filled with produce (that actually gets eaten every week), eggs, meat, butter and limited dairy. I want you to have nuts, seeds and oils in your pantry. Your fridge should be overflowing, and your pantry should have plenty of room. Your daily goal should be to follow the old adage of “eating the rainbow.” I want you to move away from a white/beige colored plate to one filled with color. Some would say this way of eating is necessarily expensive, however it can be done on a budget. Canned or frozen produce is a great option, and you can easily find tons of recipes and ideas for healthy, budget-friendly cooking online.

In our home we strive for an 80/20 approach, with 80 percent of what we eat made up of the foods described above, foods where the ingredients list is simple. The other 20 percent allows for situations like social gatherings, pizza night or dinner out.

I hope this post helps inspire you to have a say in what you put in your body. After all, “you are what you eat.” Choose beautiful foods.

What’s for dinner tonight at the Thurman house?

  • Sweet potatoes (baked in foil-add butter and cinnamon)
  • Green beans (cooked on stove top with olive oil and salt)
  • Chicken (cooked on stove top with oil, garlic, black pepper, salt)
  • Fresh fruit for dessert

God Bless,

Kaela Thurman, Family Nurse Practitioner

MSN, APRN, FNP-C

All Posts
×

Almost done…

We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!

OKSubscriptions powered by Strikingly